Tuesday, January 24, 2012

These are some of the children's books I like. Based on this list, what else would you recommend?

These are some of the children's books I like:

The Serendipity Dragons

Paddington Bear

Babar

Morris the Moose

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Amelia Bedelia

Little Critter

Berenstain Bears

Anything by Beatrix Potter

All the classics, like The Little Prince, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Little Women, The Prince and the Pauper, Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Through the Looking Glass, etc.

Madeline

Where the Wild Things Are

basically I like children's books that teach children morals and manners, while making them think and giving them an actual solid story.



and NOT:

Richard Scarry

character books (dora, elmo, disney princess, etc.)

books that have very little in the way of storytelling, if any at all, like Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear, what do you see?, If you give a mouse a cookie, and The Hungry Caterpillar.



Based on this list, what else would you recommend?These are some of the children's books I like. Based on this list, what else would you recommend?
When I was younger I loved reading/listening to people read the Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Beatrix Potter, the stories by Hans Christian Anderson (Thumbelina, etc.), the stories by Oscar Wilde (The Happy Prince, etc.), The Magic Faraway tree (and the other books in that series), ALL of Roald Dahl's books (particularly The Witches), the Horrid Henry books, and Dr. Seuss is always a winner. Still love his witty books 10 years later :]
The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, which I should buy because it's just fabulous.These are some of the children's books I like. Based on this list, what else would you recommend?
anything by enid blyton, famous five are good, but there are loads the land of far beyond is brilliant.These are some of the children's books I like. Based on this list, what else would you recommend?
Here are few more similar list:

Social And Vocational Skills Foundation/General/Credit Sqa Past Papers

Secret Agents by Gary Jeffrey

Astronauts by David West

Leave Her Alone by Helen Orme

Sakkara 2 by Michael Carroll

My First Message by Eugene Peterson
The Wombles!
Some books I loved as a kid were:



A Cricket in Times Square

Ralph S Mouse series

Bunnicula series

Courderoy Bear ( I think that was the title?)

Hans Christian Anderson (although as I got older I found him depressing lol)

Grimm Fairy Tales

Andrew Lang fairy tales

Narnia series



I was also really into those choose your own adventure books lol %26gt;.%26gt;



You already named some of my other faves as a kid: Amelia Bedelia, Paddington Bear, Madeline, Babar, Beatrix Potter, The Little Prince, Where the Wild Things Are, Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons / Searching for Dragons / Calling on Dragons / Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
I agree very much with your choices, so hopefully we have the same taste. I actually just found a book review on three of my son's favorites. (Olivia, Snowmen at Night and How I Became a Pirate.) Snowmen at night does not have a very in depth story line, but the illustrations are beautiful! And, it does have more meat than Goodnight Moon. The descriptions in this article are longer, and might give you a better idea of whether or not they would be worth your time.



I hope you find what you are looking for! (PS - It might help if you put the age range you are looking for into your original question.)

:)



http://hubpages.com/_hubans/hub/Book-Rev鈥?/a>
My favorites:



The Winnie the Pooh books and Frog and Toad.



Friendships, differences and tolerance
pippi longstocking!!



:D
My children have quite a few of the books on your list.

Have you read anything from Roald Dahl? He was a great children's author. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "George's Marvelous Medicine", "James and the Giant Peach", "The BFG", "Fantastic Mr. Fox", "The Witches", etc. are all books that I have in my collection by Mr. Dahl. I'm working on getting all of them.

Another great classic which definitely teaches good morals would be "The Little House on the Prairie" series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. All of the books are very enjoyable.

Last but not least, I would recommend the "Redwall" series by Brian Jacques. It is a fantasy like series, but lessons are definitely learned along the way.

Happy reading! :)
Oscar Wilde's fairy tales are beautiful.
"The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein

Anything else by Shel Silverstein :)
The original "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Rould Dahl
"The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg, author and illustrator; Caldecott Medal



"Half-Magic" by Edward Eager, with great illustrator Bodecker; begins short series



"The Borrowers" by Mary Norton and illustrators; Carnegie Medal; begins short series



"Tom's Midnight Garden" by Phillipa Pearce and illustrator Einzig; Carnegie Medal; one of a kind



"The Book Dragon" by Donn Kushner... this historically accurate book (with the POV of a dragon) and the above books fit your question and are great reading



These are books I kept from childhood and gave my kid.

I often purchase a few more copies as gifts, plus to keep and read occasionally myself.



ADD:

"Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White



"Five Children and It" by E. Nesbit (anything she wrote)



...and I'd better stop now... End ADD

No comments:

Post a Comment