Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Richard Scarry characters?

Trying to figure out which Richard Scarry books had the characters Schtumpa (a bear playing a tuba) and Frau Washer Woman (I believe it was a cat, doing laundry). My wife loved the book they were in as a kid, and I thought it'd be a cute birthday present if I could find a copy for her in good condition, but she has no idea which of Scarry's 300+ books they're in. Anyone have an idea?Richard Scarry characters?
"Schtoompah, the Funny Austrian" and "Schmudge, the German Chimney Sweep" are the stories you described, and they are in Scarry's book "Busy Busy World." Schmudge is the chimney sweep who saved Frau Wascherwommen's son Hans from disaster by catching him in midair after he fell off the roof, and landed him directly into a pile of clean white laundry. Both stories appear in my later edition, but if you want the genuine article, go for an earlier printing that has all the original stories that haven't been politically corrected!



http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0鈥?/a>Richard Scarry characters?
He's still in print. I read "Busy, Busy World" until I am sure it fell apart when I was little (44 now) and have been poking around stores looking at the books. BBW is one of the most popular and I am sure I remember those critters doing those actions, but not the names exactly. Great gift idea! Good luck!Richard Scarry characters?
Lowly Worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment